cycle-buffer with emacs HEAD

From: Rob Kramer
Subject: cycle-buffer with emacs HEAD
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 05:07:45 GMT

Hia,

I've been using cycle-buffer.el for ages as my buffer switching mechanism,
but it doesn't work quite right on CVS emacs. This is not recent, it's
never worked with post-21.3 CVS versions. It's very difficult to describe
the problem, but it comes down to cycle-buffer switching to the wrong
buffer sometimes.

An indication of the problem is in the switcher status bar, which normally
looks something like:

    device.h devicestore.cc [Makefile] foo.cc device.cc

Where the bracketed buffer is currently selected. On CVS emacs, it looks
like:

    device.h devicestore.cc [Makefile] [] foo.cc device.cc

..and will often pick the wrong buffer, which is very annoying.

Does anyone else use cycle-buffer? The (most recent I can find) version I'm
using is at http://www.bookshelf.jp/elc/cycle-buffer.el, which is pretty
old already.

I know almost nothing of emacs-lisp, but could pick it up if someone can
tell me where to start looking for this problem..

I'm surprised cycle-buffer seems unmaintained. Are there better ones out
there?

Cheers,

    Rob