PCL-CVS vs RC-CVS

From: D. D. Brierton
Subject: PCL-CVS vs RC-CVS
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 19:36:33 +0000

I'm trying to learn how to use revision control systems properly from
within Emacs. In particular I'm trying to learn how to use Subversion from
within Emacs. I've discovered psvn.el which is an SVN equivalent for
PCL-CVS, and rc-svn.el which is an SVN backend for RC. I've got the Emacs
Manual open in Info on the Version Control chapter, and I've found the
online Subversion book: http://svnbook.red-bean.com/.

The piece of the puzzle I am missing is what the differences are between
PCL-* and RC-* in Emacs. I can see that they offer different
functionality: it looks to me like RC-* is for actually working on
particular files in an RC system, whereas PCL-* is more for browsing an RC
system. Is that correct? Could someone offer a concise and definitive
account of what these two systems in Emacs (PCL-* and RC-*) are for to an
RCS newbie?

TIA.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@dzr-web.com           www.dzr-web.com