Re: Face precedence

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: Face precedence
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 08:31:41 +0100

Matthew Calhoun <calhounm@mac.com> writes:

[...]
>       (global-hl-line-mode 1)

Ah! Yes, `hl-line-mode' is part of Emacs.  It is a buffer-local minor
mode that highlights the line where point is in.  It is implemented
with an overlay.

> this face is used to highlight the line the cursor is on. It sounds
> like it's meant to be used for other purposes as well, but that's the
> only place it shows up under my configuration.

Yes, that face is also used for mouse-highlighting in some places, for
example in *Help* buffers.

> The documentation you pointed out to me seems to indicate that overlay
> priorities are the way to control this [...]

Unless you know more than you told, I would think that this conclusion
is premature.  Maybe there is something going wrong in your setup and
we should figure out what it is.

If I understand you correctly, you have a light background and a dark
foreground for the default face and a dark background and a light
foreground for the highlight face.  You said that in some cases the
dark background of the highlight face does not take effect.  Is that
/everywhere/, where a face other than the default face is in the
buffer?  Or does this apply only for a few faces?  Or only in some
modes?  If the latter: which mode?

If the former: you can examine the text properties a point with M-x
list-text-properties-at (assuming you are using a released version of
Emacs 21).  Please post that together with a description of what you
see.

Finally, can you reproduce the behaviour you described starting from
emacs -q --no-site-file? Can you set up a small test case so that I can
reproduce that behaviour?

FYI, hl-line-mode works as expected here.

[Please don't top-post.  For people who read or skim hundreds of
netnews postings a day this makes more work in getting the context of
a posting.  Please do rather cut out everything but the most relevant
parts of a quoting and write your answers below.]

    Oliver
--
17 Brumaire an 213 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!