Re: Filling and one-letter words at end of line

From: Maciek Pasternacki
Subject: Re: Filling and one-letter words at end of line
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 23:05:36 +0100

On Pungenday, The Aftermath 21, 3170 YOLD, binghamjc@bluebottle.com wrote:

>> What is funny is that english one-letter words (`I' and `a') are never
>> filled at end of line.
>
> I am curious as to why you think this is true.  I just did a quick
> test in emacs 21.3 running on my Win2000 PC and I do not see the
> above behavior.   I entered a paragraph where both `a' and `I' are
> the final words on subsequent lines in the paragraph.  I can find
> nothing in the emacs info file or the emacs lisp reference that
> describes any options to do what you are describing.

Well, I thought it was true; maybe it was some time ago, on another
distribution with changed defaults or some add-ons; now I'm not even
sure if it wasn't in vim long, long ago... after testing I found emacs
isn't as smart as I thought (at least by default).

Anyway, it'd be nice to have these one-letter words filled correctly.
Any ideas on how to do it, or at least where to start poking elisp?
Some kind of refill command would be easy to write (starting with
sierotki.el which is used for inserting tilde instead of space before
one-letter words when typing TeX files (tilde means non-breakable
space)) but I'd prefer all fill commands to behave well.  Is there
some way to insert a non-breakable space or to mark space as such?
I could modify sierotki.el then to insert these spaces (or mark them)
instead of inserting tilde instead.

--
__    Maciek Pasternacki <maciekp@japhy.fnord.org> [ http://japhy.fnord.org/ ]
`| _   |_\  / { (2a) No matter how hard you try, you can't make a baby in much