Re: emacs coding system

From: Edward Casey
Subject: Re: emacs coding system
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 13:08:21 -0600

"Reiner Steib" <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> wrote in message
v9fz3eyolo.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de">news:v9fz3eyolo.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de...
> On Sat, Nov 13 2004, Edward Casey wrote:
>
> > "Reiner Steib" <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> wrote...
> [...]
> >> (set-language-environment "UTF-8") if you use Emacs 21.3 or CVS
Emacs.
> >> Probably you can also use `prefer-coding-system' and friends, see
the
> >> manual for details:
> >>
> >> (info "(emacs)Recognize Coding")
> >> (info "(emacs)Language Environments")
> [...]
> > I.
> > What's the difference between (set-language-environment "UTF-8") and
> > putting something like form below in .emacs? :
> >
> > (custom-set-variables
> >    '(case-fold-search t)
> >    '(current-language-environment "UTF-8")
>
> How about reading the manual node that I have posted above?  ;-) Both
> methods are equivalent:

Which node I turned to only after posting the above. Sorry. Greenhorn
here.

> ,----[ (info "(emacs)Language Environments") ]
> |    To select a language environment, you can customize the variable
> | `current-language-environment' or use the command `M-x
> | set-language-environment'.  It makes no difference which buffer is
> | current when you use this command, because the effects apply
globally to
> | the Emacs session.
> `----
>
> >    '(default-input-method "latin-4-postfix"))
> [...]
> > I want to add upper and lower case y with macron to the
> > \leim\quail\latin-post.el code. [...] The code points are U+0232 and
> > U+0233
>
> AFAIK, the input methods are not well documented.  But it should work
> like this:

> (when (and (load "quail/latin-post" t)
>    ;; side effect: also change the default input method:
>    (setq default-input-method "latin-4-postfix"))
>   (quail-defrule "Y-" (decode-char 'ucs #x0232) "latin-4-postfix")
>   (quail-defrule "y-" (decode-char 'ucs #x0233) "latin-4-postfix"))

I assume that this can be added to my .emacs or evaluated in a lisp
buffer. I will try both. Although I have been warned against it I would
like to make the changes directly to the latin-post.el. Could I get away
with something like:

(quail-define-rules
[...]

 ("Y-" ?#x0232)  ;;; I tried to copy paste these but they were corrupted
by Outlook Express. (Maybe it's "\x0233" or some other combination
 ("y-" ?#x0233)   ;;; of slashes, hashes, or single or double quotes)

[...]

> Let's test it: `Y -' ==> Ȳ, and `y -' ==> ȳ.  Seem to work for me.
>
> BTW: Using the TeX input method, you can get the characters
> with `\ = Y' and `\ = y'.
>
> > but I don't know how to insert these characters into the lisp code.
>
> The thread with the subject "Unicode literals" in comp.emacs might
> also be of interest for you:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?rnum=1&threadm=m2lld7o3mh.fsf@seki.fr

Thanks. I did read this since I knew it was pertinent to my problem but
I understood dimly if at all.

> Bye, Reiner.

Bye and thanks again,
Ed