Re: emacs for everything?

From: Henrik S. Hansen
Subject: Re: emacs for everything?
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 03:30:47 +0100

Mike <mikee@mikee.ath.cx> writes:

> I know there are threads about creating an os with forth, lisp, perl,
> etc., what about emacs? Not creating the os, but rather doing everything
> from within emacs: mail, news, shells, browsing, etc. I know these
> things all work, but what about using emacs as a 'way of life' sort
> of thing?

I think many people use Emacs for anything except a few things.
Probably the #1 thing most heavy Emacs users _don't_ use for is Web
browsing, since Firefox is so powerful (this is purely guessing from my
side).

I personally use Emacs for (almost) everything except shell interaction,
for that I use Bash.  I use Gnus, PlannerMode, emacs-w3m, and so on.
It's a way of life :)

Another thing I've wondered about is, do people use Emacs in (primarily)
X or console?

For me it's the console.

--
Henrik S. Hansen     http://freecode.dk/~hsh/
Computer science (software engineering) student