Re: emacs for everything?

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: emacs for everything?
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:22:25 +0100

FWIW, if the choice between X and Linux tty is just one of fonts and
colours: It is quite possible and easy to make X look exactly like a
linux console -- at least on a first glance and as long as you don't
use pictures or programs like firefox or gv, of course.

There is a font for X which looks /exactly/ like the standard font on
the tty. That together with the right colour setup and together with a
window manager like ion or ratpoison (both providing a keyboard
centric UI) you can get an appearance which is distinguishable from
the console only by a small bar above the emacs or xterm "window".

I used to have that for a while and I liked it. You have the benefits
of X when you need them. Nowadays, though, I am much too fond of

Then again, if one hardly ever has a need for said benefits, one might
want to save the resources needed to run X even on modern hardware.

    Oliver
--
27 Brumaire an 213 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!