Re: emacs for everything?

From: Leonardo Boiko
Subject: Re: emacs for everything?
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:29:02 -0400

But what you are missing by using a console is the extreme versatility
provided by a good window manager under X.

What _you_ are missing on X is the benefit of having Emacs occupying the
_whole_ screen with an optimal font, without distractions from window
borders, mice, scroll-bars, menus, task-bars, wine-bars, tool-bars,
crow-bars, and what ever else glaziers clutter your screen up with.

One of the reasons I love Emacs (CVS) is its superb i18n support. It's great to be able to swith input methods at runtime and to seamlessly edit multilingual Unicode documents. The Emacs OS is better at i18n than GNU/Linux...

It's been ages since I tried to use mixed Japanese/Portuguese Unicode on console, but back then it was a bad experience. I agree with you on having no distractions, though, so I use a pretty spartan, keyboard-based, all-windows-maximized X interface. Besides Emacs, I frequently use other X applications like xpdf, firefox, gaim and gnome-terminal. I find it much faster and cleaner to switch between Emacs and Firefox with ctrl+alt+down than by switching virtual terminals.

--
Leonardo Boiko