Re: Efficient Emacs usage?

From: FCC
Subject: Re: Efficient Emacs usage?
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:34:18 +0100

Lee Sau Dan articulated on 11/23/2004 8:49 AM:

>Yes, of course.  Check what M-/ does, and be warned that it is addictive!

Dynamically expand abbreviation. I use it only occasionally.

>Also, if you have ispell  installed and you're typing in text-mode (or
>derived ones), you can M-Tab  to complete the word.  (And you'll start to
>hate   Windows,  which   gives  you  NO   WAY  to  stop   it  from
>stealing/robbing this key binding.)

I did not know about this, sounds really cool. I will try it. My
feelings toward Windows has never been very positive, especially
suffering the ordeal of typing up a descent MS thesis under MS Word in
1995. But like many people I come from a DOS background, and I have met
Unix much later in my university life, and I was never able to own one
(unfortunately). Finally there is Linux, but with no descent debugger!
Let us face it, MS Visual C/C++/Fortran IDE has a fabulous debugger that
is graphical... Anyway, the first thing I did when I got this computer
is to get it to boot both WinXP and linux-kernel-2.4.23-xfs-acpi.

>And if you edit text files (including C/C++/Java/whatever source code,
>LaTeX  manuscripts,  etc.)   and  you aren't  using  version  control,
>consider learning to use RCS or  CVS under Emacs.  I myself learnt RCS
>first under  Emacs, well  before I got  familiar with the  RCS command
>line.  (Emacs has made  it much easier to use RCS and  CVS than on the
>command line.)  If you are developing programs, don't miss M-x compile
>and M-x gdb or M-x perldb.

I agree that PCL-CVS is indispensible for software development, and I
actively use it. Good point here, thanks.

--
FCC.
===

If I don't enforce it, who will know good from evil?

-Anonymous