Re: Efficient Emacs usage?

From: Micha Feigin
Subject: Re: Efficient Emacs usage?
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:21:32 +0200

At Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:34:18 +0100,
FCC wrote:

> Lee Sau Dan articulated on 11/23/2004 8:49 AM:
>

> >Yes, of course.  Check what M-/ does, and be warned that it is addictive!
> >

> Dynamically expand abbreviation. I use it only occasionally.
>
> >Also, if you have ispell  installed and you're typing in text-mode (or
> >derived ones), you can M-Tab  to complete the word.  (And you'll start to
> >hate   Windows,  which   gives  you  NO   WAY  to  stop   it  from
> >stealing/robbing this key binding.)

And you can use flyspell-mode to check spelling interactively.

I prefer aspell though, seems to give a more complete word completion list
(sometimes too complete though, flows off my screen).

> I did not know about this, sounds really cool. I will try it. My
> feelings toward Windows has never been very positive, especially
> suffering the ordeal of typing up a descent MS thesis under MS Word in
> 1995. But like many people I come from a DOS background, and I have met
> Unix much later in my university life, and I was never able to own one
> (unfortunately). Finally there is Linux, but with no descent debugger!
> Let us face it, MS Visual C/C++/Fortran IDE has a fabulous debugger that
> is graphical... Anyway, the first thing I did when I got this computer
> is to get it to boot both WinXP and linux-kernel-2.4.23-xfs-acpi.

gdb is more powerful then anything MS Visual can spit my way. It does take some
time to get used to.

My favorite GUI for it is insight, although ddd is also ok. Never managed to
get emacs to work nicely with gdb, keeps choosing the wrong windows or ignoring
to code window for setting breakpoints.

Never tried kdevelop and anjuta, but I believe that they also have nice
interfaces to gdb (I prefer to use emacs as an IDE personally, only thing I am
missing is a project based approach to development, such as project class view
in ECB and project file view).

And if I mentioned it, don't miss out on ECB.