Re: How to automatically write *Messages" buffer to a file?

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: How to automatically write *Messages" buffer to a file?
Date: 24 Nov 2004 15:06:38 +0100

Brad Collins <brad@chenla.org> writes:

> Is there is a simple way of getting Emacs to automatically append
> messages in the message buffer to a file so messages work as a log file?
>
> I've been looking around and it seems this should be dead easy but I
> can't figure it out?

The best I can figure is that the simple way to do it would be to
modify the C source of emacs.  message is a buit-in function.  I know
of no way from emacs lisp to append a line to a file.  If you advised
the message function, you'd have to load the log file, append the
lines to the buffer and save back the buffer.  In addition, messages
coming from the other built-in functions would not be logged...

<ad>By the way, there's Hemlock (and PortableHemlock) that is an
emacs-like programmed entirely in Common-Lisp.  In Hemlock to add such
a feature would not have to go back to C, you could do it in Common-Lisp</ad>

The world will now reboot; don't bother saving your artefacts.