Re: Where is emacs.local on Emacs for Windows?

From: Galen Boyer
Subject: Re: Where is emacs.local on Emacs for Windows?
Date: 24 Nov 2004 09:48:18 -0600

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, nsalay@cogeco.ca wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just recently downloaded version 21.3 of the Emacs for
> Windows. It's working very well but I haven't been able to
> customise because I can't find the equivalent of the
> .emacs.local file.  What I would really like to do right away
> is get some colour-coding for comment markers such as
> semi-colons and such.  Anyone know how to do this and what file
> I need to make the changes in?

Just do the following:

C-x C-f ~/.emacs

Now, make your changes.

Now type, C-x C-s

Vhalla, you have a .emacs started.  (ie, ~ stands for HOME).

Now, if you want to know where that is, while in your .emacs do

C-x d RET.

Whatever directory you are sitting in is your HOME.  My guess is
that it is at your root, or c:/

--
Galen Boyer