Re: emacs for everything?

From: Maciek Pasternacki
Subject: Re: emacs for everything?
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 14:16:50 +0100

On Setting Orange, The Aftermath 38, 3170 YOLD, Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

>> Caps lock is sometimes useful.  E.G when typing SQL or Lisp code --
>> I don't like to have to hold shift when typing keywords (well, maybe
>> I could do Emacs tricks like `turn preceding n words to
>> uppercase'... well... *click* C-h i g (emacs)...).  While both these
>> languages are case-insensitive so I could just use lowercase, I prefer
>> to stay consistent wrt style with code written by respective language
>> gurus.
>
> There are several solutions for this.
>
> - map Caps Lock to some other key with xmodmap. For example, I map it
>   to Scroll Lock which is not useful on X11..

Well, I got caps-lock mapped to what used to be left Ctrl (and vice
versa) with xkb option ctrl:swapcaps.  It's okay with me; OTOH
changing case backwards with M-- [n] M-u seems to be what I was
looking for (I knew M-u, M-l and M-c bot never thought of giving it
a prefix...).

> - use caps-mode. You can even activate this minor mode from a hook of
>   the major modes that need upcase.  It's even better than a true Caps
>   Lock, because you keep typing lower-case, so emacs understands all
>   the keys bindings. With Caps Lock, you're typing upper-case and key
>   bindings don't match.

It can also be good; I thought also about abbrevs (uppercasing known
keywords, especially for SQL) or some kind of electric space for Lisp
(though it'd be a bot too automagic for me) but M-- M-u seems to be
good way to go.

Greets,
                --japhy

--
__    Maciek Pasternacki <maciekp@japhy.fnord.org> [ http://japhy.fnord.org/ ]
`| _   |_\  / { ...you claimed all this time that you would die for me,