Re: emacs for everything?

From: ken
Subject: Re: emacs for everything?
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 05:00:25 -0500

Maciek Pasternacki wrote:

I use XKB though to switch my Caps Lock and left Ctrl key (like Sun
keyboards have) -- this one I found in docs. ;) In Emacs it makes
*big* difference.

Couple-three options:

First, "man xmodmap".

Or... on systems where I'm the only user, I doctor the default keymap in /lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/ and call it ctrlcaps.kmap.gz, then put

KEYTABLE="ctrlcaps"

in /etc/sysconfig/keyboard. This is on RH9, so you might not have the same configuration system. In that case, have a look at /etc/rc.d/init.d/ (or your equivalent), find the "keytable" file (or whatever does the same on your system, and doctor that to load ctrlcaps instead of the one it is currently loading.

Of... if you're using the new gnome WM, there's a GUI configuration app for swapping Ctrl and CapsLock keys. This method works great... perfectly... in fact, too easily. But I haven't gotten around to finding a more difficult way to do the same thing, so there's another thing to talk about with my therapist. :)

hth,
ken

--
Reality is complicated.