Re: Question on Mule and Makor2, font display vs char input?

From: Anna Petrov Ronell
Subject: Re: Question on Mule and Makor2, font display vs char input?
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 13:16:13 -0500

    >> There is a LaTeX font environment called makor2 which allows a
    >> user to create output using Hebrew characters.  These output
    >> characters are often defined by multi-byte combinations.  So it
    >> would be nice to have an Emacs mode which allowed a user at the
    >> keyboard to type a single input key and have that keystroke
    >> display the proper corresponding Hebrew character on the screen
    >> while placing the proper set of matching characters into the
    >> file for LaTeX Makor2.  There is a standard keyboard setup use
    >> in Israel which can be followed and a set of Mule Hebrew screen
    >> fonts seem to be readily available.

    Stefan> There are several issues here: 1 - what encoding can be
    Stefan> used by makor2 in the TeX files: for hebrew characters,
    Stefan> Emacs-21.3 supports ISO-8859-8 but not utf-8.  If Makor2
    Stefan> requires utf-8, you'll need to use Emacs-CVS.  2 -
    Stefan> right-to-left text: this is not supported yet.  3 - typing
    Stefan> in Hebrew characters: you need to select an input method
    Stefan> (with C-u C-\).  There's one called `hebrew'.

Unfortunately, Makor2  does not  follow the ISO  standards.  I  am not
sure that it could.  Makor2  allows for things like Cantorial Accents,
Consonants, Vowels  and some  other miscellaneous characters.   I have
attached its PDF reference card at  the end of this message.  It needs
a custom  character set I think.   I have tested 'hebrew'  in mule and
that isn't appropriate in this case.   How difficult is it to create a
custom language mode  where a keystroke or set  of keystrokes prints a
particular font character to the screen and a set of characters to the
open file?

Working  right to  left is  a future  problem, although  if  that were
easily possible, then certainly that would be helpful.

    >> Is there an easy way to use the existing Mule Hebrew character
    >> set as a starting point to create a new Emacs mode definition
    >> which will just output the needed Makor2 multi-byte character
    >> set?

    Stefan> There's a Hebrew language environment already.

I don't think that is appropriate here.  It needs a custom developed
environment, but it would be good to work with/or follow the standard
as closely as possible to try and make the result useful for future
attempts and corrections.  See the attached ref card below.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.