Re: Question on Mule and Makor2, font display vs char input?

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: Question on Mule and Makor2, font display vs char input?
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 12:41:52 +0100

Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu> writes:

>    > From: Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu>
>    > Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 23:52:53 -0600
>    >
>    > M-: (insert "\\mu")
>    >
>    > and I see something like this:
>    >
>    > %% example.tex
>    > \documentclass[12pt]{article}
>    > \begin{document}
>    > I am an example. $$<lambda>$$  Rowr! <mu>
>    > \end{document}
>    >
>    > (<mu> stands for the mu character).
>
>    I think the preview-latex package (not yet part of Emacs) does what
>    you want.
>
> No, I want the characters <lambda>, <mu> to be emacs glyphs, not
> inline images.  X-symbol is much closer to what I want!

I'd use font-lock to put an composition or display text property on
the string. Have a look at:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PrettyLambda

However with using `compose-region' as suggested there you have to be
a bit careful with auto-saved files (because they are encoded in
emacs-mule, which preserves the composition property). Maybe it is
better to use the `display' text property. That would be a bit more
messy, though, if you want cursor movements to DTRT.

    Oliver
--
14 Frimaire an 213 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!