Re: vc-annotate not displaying all lines

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: vc-annotate not displaying all lines
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:07:37 GMT

>> (ssh "$@" 2>&1 1>&3 | cat) 3>&1 1>&2

> I'm trying to figure out what it does.  Lesse... ssh is run in a
> subshell.  Then stdout is gated to a different file descriptor, and
> stderr is gated to the file descriptor used by stdout.

> Then the stderr stuff is sent through a pipe and into cat.  Outside
> the subshell stdout and stderr are routed back to their standard file
> descriptors.

> I guess the effect is to delay stderr a bit, wrt. to stdout...?

No, the effect is to separate the stderr of ssh from the stderr of cvs, and
then link them via `cat' to "hide" the difference.

SSH puts his stderr in non-blocking mode whereas CVS doesn't work reliably
if his stderr is non-blocking (and even worse if his stdout is non-blocking
which would happen if the programm running CVS (e.g. Emacs) redirects stdout
and stderr of CVS to the same file descriptor).

        Stefan