Re: How to send a mail using smtp?

From: D P Schreber
Subject: Re: How to send a mail using smtp?
Date: 19 Dec 2004 17:21:31 GMT

On 2004-12-19, Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote:
> Only on Unix systems with a functioning sendmail.  Since Emacs runs
> on all platforms, there are many users without sendmail.  I use OS X
> which has sendmail turned off by default

I'm pretty sure the default osx configuration has MAILSERVER in
/etc/hostconfig set to "-AUTOMATIC-".   That's certainly how all my Macs
are configured, and I don't remember doing this myself.  With this
setting, no listener on port 25 will be started, but sendmail will work
fine, including queuing when necessary.  Of course you might need to
make adjustments to /etc/postfix/main.cf, particularly if your host has
a lan address.

That's not to say that osx users should necessarily use the sendmail
emacs package rather than the smtpmail package.  But they can if they
want to.

And the previous poster is right: smtpmail is not the best choice if
you're not sure the remote server is accessible at the time you're
trying to send mail.  With sendmail you don't have to worry about that.