Southern California Demographic Analysis Workshop Announcement (Jan. & F

From: Gina Clemmer (New Urban Research)
Subject: Southern California Demographic Analysis Workshop Announcement (Jan. & Feb. dates)
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:05:26 -0800

Analyzing Southern California Communities: Demographic Analysis Workshop

When
San Diego: January 11th, 12th or 13th (9:00 am - 4:00 pm)
Anaheim: February 2nd, 3rd or 4th (9:00 am - 4:00 pm)

Please Note: This is a one day workshop. Participants choose only one day to attend.

Where
San Diego: New Horizons Training Center 7480 Miramar Road, Bldg B, Suite 202 San Diego, CA
Anaheim: New Horizons Training Center 1900 S. State College Blvd. STE 100 Anaheim, CA

Fee:
$249 - Credit Cards, Checks and Purchase Orders accepted

How To Register?
Register online at
www.urban-research.info or call us at 877.241.6576.

The Southern California Demographic Analysis Workshop will teach you to extract, query, download, analyze, and map Census demographic data for communities in Southern California (Note: Participants may use their own community in exercises-all techniques are directly transferable to other communities). Such data can provide grant writers, social researchers and community planners with powerful tools for analyzing community changes. This is a streamlined, "hands on" workshop where each participant works on their own computer throughout the day.

This workshop also provides an introduction to Geographic Information Systems (GIS) which includes a discussion of GIS trends and common uses, where to easily obtain mapping files, a demonstration of the map browser ArcExplorer (included with your materials), hands on practice making basic maps online and suggestions for making effective maps.
See a detailed description

Materials include: A comprehensive workbook that includes the workshop presentation, exercises, reference materials and a valuable Demographic Data Resource CD. This CD includes useful GIS tools such as ArcExplorer and several shapefiles for all communities in the United States. Materials also include a 60 day trial version of ArcView 9.0, a leading GIS software. Also included is the 2003 US Statistical Abstract which includes an extensive selection of statistics for the United States, with selected data for states, metropolitan areas and cities.

This workshop will:

Former Participants' Comments:

South Central Los Angeles Regional Center (Los Angeles 2003)
"This information will be a valuable tool to add to my skills arsenal. I'm excited about applying what I have learned to the grant writing process."

City of Garden Grove (Los Angeles 2004)
"Actually, it was absolutely excellent, and I'm kind of hard to please in training. Thank you very much!"

Southern California Association of Non-Profit Housing
(Los Angeles 2004)
"It was very helpful and a good way to refresh myself on using Census data and mapping"

UCLA
(Los Angeles 2004)
"Wonderful. I learned a lot that I can take back to my organization and do community-based work."

City and County of San Francisco Dept Public Health (San Francisco 2003)
"Great class, so much useful information and resources!"

City of Berkeley
(San Francisco 2003)
"Great learning experience. I am taking this knowledge back to work!"

New Urban Research, Inc. (formerly SmartGirl Technologies, Inc.) is a social research company located in Portland, Oregon.  For more information about the workshop, who we are and what we do, check out our website at
www.urban-research.info.

Please note, we never sell or buy email lists. If do not want to receive further announcements, simply reply to this message with the word "remove" in the subject line or send us an email at info@urban-research.info. We will immediately remove you from the announcement list.