Re: TERM=xterm-256color but emacs=8color

From: kj
Subject: Re: TERM=xterm-256color but emacs=8color
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 01:30:31 +0000 (UTC)

In <mailman.10549.1104706035.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> "Eli Zaretskii"
<eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>> From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
>> Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 20:13:15 +0100
>>
>> Emacs can't display more than the 8 ANSI colours.

>The CVS codebase does support more (support for 16-, 88-, and
>256-color xterms and rxvt is builtin, and other multicolor terminals
>can be added by the end user using the infrastructure).

Well, I just compiled emacs from the CVS codebase, but when I run
*this* emacs -nw on an xterm that I *know* (thanks to vttest/dynamic.sh)
supports more than 8 colors, *still* list-colors-display shows only
8 colors.

I also tried setting TERM to xterm-256color and infocmp -C xterm-256
> ~/.termcap.  This was even worse; the resulting emacs -nw was
strictly black and white.

* Are any special configuration options/compilation flags required
for 256-color support?  (I sure hope not, because it took a LIFETIME
to compile this mother).

* Are there any invocation flags required to bring up emacs with
256-color support?

* Is there *anything else* that I need to do to get Emacs with
256-color support?

Thanks!

kj

P.S.  It took an eternity to compile (make bookstrap) emacs.  Is
there a quicker way?  All I need is:

  * 256-color support
  * support for programming modes (lisp, perl, c, etc.)
  * e-shell
  * mail mode and RMAIL
  * lisp interaction mode

The smallest emacs that will give all of the above would be ideal.