Re: very mysterious behaviour from rmail-output-to-rmail-file

From: FCC
Subject: Re: very mysterious behaviour from rmail-output-to-rmail-file
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:32:53 +0100

FCC articulated on 01/04/05 20:28:

> Well, I am not an expert, and I have never used any rmail stuff in
>
>Emacs, but I can't help wondering if you have a permission problem in
>creating the rmail file /putmail. According to GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1
>(i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit) of 2004-12-07 on I8600:
>-----
>rmail-output-to-rmail-file is an interactive autoloaded Lisp function in
>`rmailout'.
>(rmail-output-to-rmail-file file-name &optional count stay)
>
>Append the current message to an Rmail file named file-name.
>If the file does not exist, ask if it should be created.
>If file is being visited, the message is appended to the Emacs
>buffer visiting that file.
>If the file exists and is not an Rmail file, the message is
>appended in inbox format, the same way `rmail-output' does it.
>
>The default file name comes from `rmail-default-rmail-file',
>which is updated to the name you use in this command.
>
>A prefix argument N says to output N consecutive messages
>starting with the current one.  Deleted messages are skipped and don't
>count.
>
>If optional argument stay is non-nil, then leave the last filed
>mesasge up instead of moving forward to the next non-deleted message.
>-----
>
>so it seems the file does not exist and it is trying to create it but
>failing. So a permission problem? Disk full? Trying to write to an NTFS
>partition? What else could it be, I have no idea...
>
>Hope this helps,

On second thought, why don't you try to create /putmail manually and
call the function to see if it will work this time? Just a suggestion...

--
FCC.

===
... they make men small, cowardly and hedonistic--every time it is the
herd animal that triumphs with them. Liberalism: In other words,
herd-animalization.
-Friedrich Nietzsche. - Twilight of the Idols, chap 38, para. 1