Preserving command history between sessions

From: Gian Uberto Lauri
Subject: Preserving command history between sessions
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 07:49:55 +0100

I bet this is FAQ stuff and that I was a moron while searching in the
online help.

My wife asked  me if it was possible to preserve  the history (more or
less like bash does). I understand that there could be a lot of buffer
missing but I feel  she needs it since she has some  text she works on
again and again.

But how can I can do it ? I discovered how to have it in a buffer, but
not  how to  insert items  in the  list (except  by issuing  again the
commands).

Thanks in advance.

--