Re: Sending files to the recycle bin via dired

From: Enila Nero
Subject: Re: Sending files to the recycle bin via dired
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 09:33:03 GMT

Enila Nero <geortal@yahoo.com> writes:

>> Is there a way to redefine the delete-file function so that when
>> deleting files from a dired buffer they are send to the recycle bin
>> instead of being deleted without a chance to undelete?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Enila
>
> Although it should be obvious Emacs is on Windows (XP).  I am using
> Emacs 21.3.50.

No solution was suggested but I was able find this solution:
I installed the freeware program fundelete

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/fundelete.shtml

(source code is also provided.)

It replaces the Windows recycle bin.  It captures all files deleted
by the user or from within programs.  One can define filters to avoid
rescuing files that should be deleted period, like those in temp
directories or of certain extensions.

It works for files deleted within dired buffers, i.e. they are send to
fundelete recycle bin.  HOWEVER files deleted from a cygwin bash shell
using rm will be as dead and gone as they are on a unix machine (to
the extend one does employ special recovery programs.)

Use fundelete at your own risk.

Enila