Re: emacs as a C++ editor

From: Knackeback
Subject: Re: emacs as a C++ editor
Date: 09 Jan 2005 19:28:38 +0100

Roy Smith <roy@panix.com> writes:

> In article <m33bxbohrh.fsf@redrat.quark.de>,
>  Knackeback <knackeback@randspringer.de> wrote:
>
> > Does an emacs extension exist which supports
> > code completion for C++ programming ?
> >
> > Thomas
>
> There is C++ mode, which is probably included in most emacs distribtions.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "code completion", but it has a lot of
> features which help editing C++ code.
>
> You can do meta-/ and it will try to autocomplete the word you started
> typing.  This is especially useful with the long function names that
> seem to be common in C++.  You type "fin M-/" and it completes
> "findAndReplaceAllFrobnitzOccurrances", assuming there is an instance of
> that name somewhere nearby.  If it guessed wrong, hit M-/ again and
> it'll cycle through some likely alternatives.  Very handy.
>
> It also auto-indents code (and can be tweaked to use almost any indent
> style known to man), matches parens (and braces and brackets and
> quotes), does syntax coloring, and probably 47 other nifty things I've
> either forgotten about of haven't discovered yet.

g> Not to mention built-in support for running compilations, and
> interfacing to several common source control systems.

I think the CEDET project http://cedet.sourceforge.net/ could have
the feature. I will try it. I think the boost libraries are a real
test for parsing the C++ code, which is necessary for code completion
in C++. Of course if someone has already excperience with CEDET please
tell ...

--
NO ePatents: http://swpat.ffii.org/index.de.html