Re: Large files

From: cweinberg
Subject: Re: Large files
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 23:25:44 +0100

All the professional text editors known to me are disk oriented. I
always wondered that emacs isn't.

Anyway, emacs can't, and today in days large memory systems are less
expensive, disk oriented editing appears to be less important - but
only at the first glance, because modern emacs features like
auto-revert-tail mode, making viewing (not editing) logfiles easy,
which really can be extremely large. Or loading a large number of java
classes may also cause a memory consumption which is significant
larger than that of Windows text editors like UE.

Therefore I support Stefans proposal that someone could try to write
an elisp package that does disk oriented editing.

--
Regards
-Carsten