Re: how to exit "early" from eg .emacs?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: how to exit "early" from eg .emacs?
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 13:11:11 +0200

> From: dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs)
> Date: 15 Jan 2005 00:06:13 -0500
>
> Suppose I'm having a problem with eg narrow-to-region,
> but the problem occurs (if and) only if .emacs has been
> read in.
>
> I'd like to instrument my .emacs such that every so often
> it asks "abort reading .emacs now?", and if I answer yes,
> it does -- and leaves me in emacs, where I can try narrowing,
> and see if it works or not.
>
> ... and eventually discover just where in .emacs my problem-code is.

Not exactly what you wanted, but perhaps a solution after all: Invoke
Emacs with the -q switch, then visit your .emacs, and manually
evaluate its contents, either with eval-region or with "C-x C-e" (for
a single expression).  After each evaluation, see whether the
offending problem appears, and draw the conclusions as appropriate.

Does this work?