Re: Adjusting page length in "Print buffer" command

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Adjusting page length in "Print buffer" command
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 16:20:48 -0600

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005
>> 09:57:29 -0600

<snip>

>> Is there a way to do this simply via "Customize Emacs" that I have
>> overlooked?
>
> Thru "Customize Emacs" should be possible.  Did it fail for you?

Yes.  Well, rather, the settings are basically incomprehensible to me
and I can't tell what to change to what value to achieve what I
need. I often run into this in "Customize," actually, because the
language used is unlike anything I am familiar with.  I "grew up" with
Macintoshes, not Unix or Lisp, and making sense of Emacs is always a
bit of a challenge as a result.  ;-)

It's not really intuitive to look for setting the number of lines per
page under "lpr-headers-switches."  The name of that variable doesn't
obviously have anything to do with pagination parameters.

> Another, a bit shorter, way is by "M-x customize-variable RET".
> Type "lpr-headers-switches" at the prompt, and then modify the value
> in the Custom buffer and use the displayed buttons to save it for
> this and future sessions.

Nice shortcut!

Modify which value to what?  This is where relative newbies like
myself get stuck.  In the buffer, I have (with buttons of course):

Lpr Headers Switches: Hide Value
INS
   State: this option is unchanged from its standard setting.

List of strings of options to request page headings in the printer program.
Hide Rest
If nil, we run `lpr-page-header-program' to make page headings
and print the result.
Parent groups: Lpr

Unfortunately I am clueless as to what changes to make....  If I
click on INS, there is a text field that appears, but I don't know
what to put into it.

Thanks for all your help (and patience), Eli!