Re: How to download and install Emacs CVS?

From: Rodolfo Medina
Subject: Re: How to download and install Emacs CVS?
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:16:18 +0100

Thanks to Peter Dyballa and Stefan Monnier for their help.

That's what I did:
I connected to Internet, then from my '/home/rodolfo' directory did:

$ export CVS_RSH="ssh"
$ cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs

. These commands created the dir `/home/rodolfo/emacs'
in which the complete tree of source was downloaded:
two hours and a half.
I closed the connection, then from `/home/rodolfo/emacs' I did:

$ ./configure
$ make bootstrap
# make install

This way Emacs was installed in my system.
I have though still the following questions:

1) when I installed Emacs-CVS in Mandrake 9.1 everything seemed to go well,
   except that Emacs is launched without graphical environment,
   with a black background and no possibility to use the mouse.
   Is that normal, or what did I miss?

2) When I repeated the installation in Mandrake 10.1 Community, during the
   'make bootstrap' step the following message went on appearing:

   Warning: arch-independent data dir (/usr/local/share/emacs/21.3.50/etc/)
   does not exist.

   What's wrong? How to fix that? Maybe the lack of important packages?
   Can anyone say which ones?

3) It took two hours and a half to complete the download,
   so it'd be better for me next time to go to an Internet point
   with a fast connection. But Internet points have MS Windows.
   Would it be possible, and how?, to perform the download with MS Windows?

4) Shall I do the daily updates using the same commands I used to download
   or how different?

Thanks indeed,
cheers,
Rodolfo