Re: newbie- meta key mapping

From: Neon Absentius
Subject: Re: newbie- meta key mapping
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 08:24:22 +0000

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 08:04:13AM +0100, toto wrote:
> Hello, world!
>
> I would be very happy if you could help me, i'm a bit lost in all the
> doc i've read.
> I'm using emacs with the keyborad-coding-system and the
> terminal-coding-system in mode latin 1.
> So, the alt key is used to produce non-ASCII characters. I have now to
> use the ESC key for the meta key.
> I have on my keyboard a WIN key that is not used.  Could I use it in
> the functino of the META key? How to do that?

If you are using GNU/Linux (and probably any other unix-like OS) you
can do that by using the xmodmap program to map win to meta. I have
done that in my pc104 keyboard, since I use the Alt key for bindings
for my window manager.

If you are not very fammiliar with the xmodmap syntax there is a
program xkeycaps that is a nice graphical interface to xmodmap.
You can get it here http://www.jwz.org/xkeycaps/

The relevant lines in my .Xmodmap seem to be

    keycode 0x73 =         Meta_L
    keycode 0x40 =         Alt_L
    keycode 0x71 =         Alt_R
    keycode 0x74 =         Meta_R
    keycode 0x75 =         Menu

    clear Mod1
    clear Mod4

    add    Mod1    = Alt_L Alt_R
    add    Mod4    = Meta_L Meta_R

HTH

--
Charity in capitalism is like urinating to extinguish a forest fire.
    -- Neon Absentius