Re: solaris --color 21.3.2 -nw tty

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: solaris --color 21.3.2 -nw tty
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:32:35 +0200

> From: "John M. Adams" <jmadams@stsci.edu>
> Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 10:35:18 -0500
>
> But I have the following problem.  The cannonical installation (Solaris)
> at work(where I don't have root), is 21.3.2.  This has (I think) color
> support, but it does not respect the TERMINFO env variable.  It only looks
> in /usr/share/terminfo and gives up if it can't find the entry there.  This
> is problematic for me since I am currently forced to use my own TERMINFO
> directory.

Is it possible that the installed Emacs 21.3 was built with termcap
support, not with terminfo (try setting TERMCAP instead of TERMINFO
and see if that helps)?  Or perhaps it was linked against a bad
version of the curses library?

Also, why do you at all need to set TERMINFO?

> I built my own emacs from CVS a few days ago.  It has the --color switch and
> it respects TERMINFO.  What a godsend.  My CVS build works very well,
> except that I have noticed some glitches saving custom faces through the
> customize-face interface.  I can workaround this, but..
>
> Is there a way to workaround the TERMINFO problem with 21.3.2 or is there a
> recommended version/CVS tag I can use to check out something that handles
> saving custom faces a little better?

Please report any problems you find in the CVS version (using the
"M-x report-emacs-bug RET" command, which will send the report to the
correct email address), so that they could be diagnosed and fixed.  If
that is indeed a bug, it will most probably be fixed very soon,
provided that you report it.

Once the problem with customize-face is resolved, you could simply
resync with the CVS, rebuild Emacs, and use it instead of the version
installed by your sysadmins.