Re: ECCN

From: Gian Uberto Lauri
Subject: Re: ECCN
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 13:03:02 +0100

H> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 16:07:31 -0800 Alicia Uribe wrote:
>> We have an employee traveling to the UK with EMACS 21.3 installed on
>> his laptop.  For Customs purposes, we need to provide them with an
>> Export Control Classification Number for this software.  Can you
>> please provide this information or steer me in the direction of
>> someone who can.

H> Probably off topic but does anyone knows what a "Export Control
H> Classification Number" is?

I  think that's  all  related  with the  emplojer  of Miss/Mrs  Uribe,
Northrop Grumman , that should be a DoD contractor.

I understand her employer concerns about exports.

Anyway, as far as I  know, Emacs (version 21.3 included) contains code
written  in U.K.  and  other E.C.  countries, and  its source  code is
available from sites all around the world.

The  employee going  to UK  is NOT  exporting Emacs  21.3 since  it is
already available  outside U.S.A. -I am using  it now and I  am not in
USA-.

I wonder  if Export  Compliance Office did  check the  program (Emacs)
license ?  An englishmen would say that there's some slight difference
from Microsoft E.U.L.A.s :)

Said license can  be read in http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html, and
the best thing  Miss/Mrs Uribe can do is  contacting the Free Software
Foundation.  Their  homepage http://www.gnu.org reports  these contact
informations:

Please send inquiries about GNU and the FSF to

        Free Software Foundation           Voice:  +1-617-542-5942
        59 Temple Place - Suite 330        Fax:    +1-617-542-2652
        Boston MA 02111-1307 USA           E-Mail: gnu@gnu.org

ing. Gian Uberto Lauri      |
Consulente - Engineering Spa| main(){printf(&unix["\021%six\012\0"],
Gruppo Competenza           |               (unix)["have"]+"fun"-0x60);}
Ambienti di Sviluppo        | David Korn, AT&T Bell Labs
C.so Stati Uniti 23/A       | ioccc best One Liner, 1987
35100 Padova (Italia)       |
+39 049 698 9411            |