Re: emacs X11 will not compile

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: emacs X11 will not compile
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 12:03:53 +0100

Am 06.02.2005 um 06:13 schrieb eoakes:

checking X11 version 6... before 6
checking X11 version 5... before 5
checking for X11/xpm.h... no

Hello!

I think you're missing a lot of software in your SuSE Linux PC! Just look at all these "no"s! The above cited lines tell that configure did not recognize your X11 installation. You claim, and configure found /usr/X11R6/{lib,include}, but then configure can't find X11R6 nor X11R5.

I'm not a SuSE Linux expert: I think you've forgotten to install tons of development packages. I remember that at least some Linuxen have the 'proper' package plus one with the corresponding C header files, so one holds the binaries and libraries you need for your daily life, and the other package has those files you'll only need when you develop or compile software that uses functions from the aforementioned libraries.

--
Greetings

  Pete

The box said "Use Windows 95 or better," so I got a Macintosh