Re: emacs X11 will not compile

From: eoakes
Subject: Re: emacs X11 will not compile
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 12:13:17 -0700

Adding the package xorg-x11-devel-6.8.1-15.4.i586.rpm and the pages it require allowed emacs to compile for Xwindows. It took quite a while to find the necessary RPMs as they are not on the downloaded dvd nor could I find them on the suse site.

Thanks for the help!!!

Tom

Stefan Monnier wrote:
I'm not a SuSE Linux expert: I think you've forgotten to install tons of
development packages. I remember that at least some Linuxen have the
proper' package plus one with the corresponding C header files, so one holds
the binaries and libraries you need for your daily life, and the other
package has those files you'll only need when you develop or compile
software that uses functions from the aforementioned libraries.

That sounds like his problem indeed.
BTW, whoever bumps into those problems should complain to their distro that
the lack of -devel packages made their waste a lot of time.  Much more time
than is justified by the few MBs saved.

        Stefan