Re: guile-emacs dead ?

From: August
Subject: Re: guile-emacs dead ?
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 21:19:36 +0100

On sön, 2005-02-06 at 18:36 +0100, Niels Freimann wrote:
> August wrote:
>
> >I did the same observation some time ago. I think it's a great shame
> >because as a programming language Scheme is far superior to Elisp
> >

> languages like that aren't popular anymore. Look at java, it's something
> like a simplified c++, any C or C++ programmer can learn easily. This is
> what the people are intersted in.

My impression is not that people using Emacs are afraid of the lisp
family of languages. For me it's hard to understand the reluctance to
learn new languages/paradigms. That's one of the joys of programming.
The industry clearly shows that the best designs never win (Ask any
programmer if he or she has heard of Oberon-2.) I guess many programmers
don't think of or compare the merits of different languages; they just
program in whatever language they are used to.

Some links:
http://www.amadeus-3.com/main_files/oberon2vsCPP.php
http://www.zel.org/oberon/fromctoo.htm
http://www.cs.utk.edu/~mclennan/anon-ftp/Elegance.html