Re: Can't get italic face!

From: August
Subject: Re: Can't get italic face!
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 16:35:19 +0100

On ons, 2005-02-09 at 11:07 +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Rodolfo wrote:
>
> > I want to get the italic face, but can't:
> > I select a word, then do `M-g i' and nothing happens.
> > Instead, `M-g b' for bold face and `M-g u' for underline work fine.
> > Any suggestion?
> > I have CVS Emacs 21.3.50.
>

> August wrote:
>
> > Does the selected font define an italic shape?
>

> I don't think so. When I try to customize the font
> I select the item 'slant' and, under this, the option
> 'oblique', but the example shown by Emacs does not
> show any oblique shape, but the default shape instead.
> Is it possible, and how?, to obtain an italic shape?
> After all, the 'bold' and 'underline' face work fine.

What I mean is that if you are using a raster font that don't have an
italic shape (no such glyphs defined) then you're out of luck. Some
fonts, e.g. Proggy Clean, don't even have a bold shape. With vector
fonts (e.g. True Type) the application can sometimes change the shape of
the a font (with no italic/bold shape defined) by applying a transform.
Nevertheless, the result will only look good if the font has a real
italic shape defined.

--
August