Re: BACKSPACE in GNU-EMACS editor

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: BACKSPACE in GNU-EMACS editor
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:46:49 -0500

> Does anyone know the (global-set-key) def for utilizingthe backspace to
> delete a go back 1 char and 1 word ?

There's some grammar problem in your question, so I'm not sure I understand
it all, but in Emacs the backspace key (normally mapped to DEL aka C-?) is
already bound to delete-backward-char, so it seems like the problem is that
your Emacs does not properly recognize your backspace key.

Is this on a text terminal emulator, or is it in X11 mode, or in W32, ...?

What's the value of normal-erase-is-backspace ?
If it's t rather than nil, try M-x normal-erase-is-backspace-mode RET.

Otherwise, if you hit backspace and then C-h l what are the last elements
output by C-h l ?

        Stefan