Re: suppressing gdb subprocess control characters?

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: suppressing gdb subprocess control characters?
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:31:45 +1300

> I should also mention that after I sent the message to the list, I
> downloaded and compiled the newest CVS source (GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1),
> and it seemed to fix the problem as well (without the need to setq
> process-connection-type t).  Although, strangely enough, with the
> newest CVS version, I no longer get a red dot representing a
> breakpoint under the gdb subprocess.. I'm sure there's probably just
> some setting I need to change to get this to work.

You will only get the red dot if you leave the gdb annotation level at 3.
This is a new mode in CVS Emacs that has many other features as described
in the accompanying Emacs manual (info pages). Setting the level to 1
just gives you the old mode.

> I'm still curious as to how to suppress the strange control characters
> printed by gdb, such as:
>
> ^[[2A
> ^[[0Khello, world!
>
> since it'd be a lot easier to read output without seeing these odd
> characters.  Thanks again for the help!

"hello, world" is presumably output by your program. help-gnu-emacs
(or related) is for released versions of Emacs. You are more likely
to get an answer to your question if you post it to:

emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org

with a reproducible testcase.

With CVS Emacs (currently 22.0.50) this list gets automatically selected
with M-x report-emacs-bug (on the menu-bar Help->Send Bug Report...)

> Mike

> P.S. I've tried setting the gdb annotation level to 1 to remove the
> control characters, and while it removes some of them, the ones above
> still remain (although they only appear when executing a printf
> statement it seems).  I'm thinking it might have something to do with
> the buffer-coding-system setting?

Probably not.

Nick