modeline should note file gotten-via-symlink

From: David Combs
Subject: modeline should note file gotten-via-symlink
Date: 21 Feb 2005 18:46:25 -0500

>From the dired for .../4msnew:

|   -rw-r--r--   1 dkc      other       4509 Aug 29 18:11 run-tools--16.29.8.smd
|
|   lrwxrwxrwx   1 dkc      other         22 Aug 29 17:56 run-tools.smd ->
run-tools--16.29.8.smd

, note that run-tools.smd is a symlink.

"Click" (hit <return>) on it, and you end up with a buffer named
run-tools.smd (the name of the symlink), the buffer's *contents* being the
pointed-to file "run-tools--16.29.8.smd".

Fine and good; nice rms-DWIM, does what I wanted.

However, the *mode-line*, which shows the name of the *symlink*,
"run-tools.smd", gives NO indication that the file I'm *actually* at (or at
least actually looking-at/into), "run-tools--16.29.8.smd", is *via a symlink*.

Would be a helpful reminder, at least for me, if the mode-line also
contained the word "SYMLINK".

(And if gotten-to via a chain of eg three symlinks, then maybe something
like "SYMLINKS3".)

QUESTION: would anyone else reading this post find helpful such a modeline
additon?

QUESTION: does such a thing *already* exist?  (If so, where's the most
recent version?

  -------

Related idea, for "*Buffer Menu*":

|  MR Buffer           Size  Mode         File
|  -- ------           ----  ----         ----
|     run-tools.smd    4509  Fundamental
/opt6/myexternals/home/dkc/4msnew/run-tools--16.29.8.smd

Note that the buffer's name is run-cuffs.smd, but is actually "at" the file
pointed at by the symlink -- and again, there's no explicit, "in your face"
notice that it's via a symlink.

(As far as the user can tell from the line, he originally (last week, in
this still-running emacs session) did a C-x C-f on "run-tools--16.29.8.smd",
and then did a rename-buffer to the shorter name, and there's no way to
tell.

So, again, some explicit, "in your face" notation might be helpful here too.