Re: How to bind pop up menu to a key?

From: Neon Absentius
Subject: Re: How to bind pop up menu to a key?
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 02:05:53 +0000

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 09:56:58PM +0100, August wrote:
> On mΓ₯n, 2005-02-21 at 01:45 +0000, Neon Absentius wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I like to turn the menu bar off since most of the time I don't use
> > it. However now and then --especially when I am trying a new
> > package-- I like to use the menu for easy reference. When I am in
> > X I prefer to use the C-mouse3 binding that pop's up a nice menu with
> > the contents of the menu bar. I hate to leave the keyboard to reach
> > for the rodent though. Is there some way to bind this to a key?
>
> (menu-bar-mode nil)
> (global-set-key [C-mouse-3] 'mouse-popup-menubar)

Thanks for your answer. I am afraid I didn't express my self very
clearly. I want to bind the mouse-popup-menubar to a keyboard enent,
*not* to C-mouse-3 which is the default binding. When I try

(global-set-key (kbd "M-<f1>") 'mouse-popup-menubar)

for example, and then I press M-<F1> I get the message

      mouse-popup-menubar must be bound to an event with parameters

The mouse-popup-menubar seems to be the right action since when I unbind
the [C-mouse-3] and then rebind it again it works as before.

> > Also is it possible to navigate the pop-up menus with the keyboard?
>
> Don't know. If you use C-mouse-3 for the menu then you already have your
> hand on the mouse, so why use the keyboard?

Yes, but I want to have the popup menu from the keyboard to begin
with.

--
Charity in capitalism is like urinating to extinguish a forest fire.
    -- Neon Absentius