Re: compile-command customisation

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: compile-command customisation
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 08:49:42 -0500

> Thanks a lot for the tip! It did seem a bit over zealous to hop around
> from file to file. But the way you use "never" makes me think, that it
> is more than just common sense - is there another reason too?

`find-file' may fail in the case where the current window does not allow
switching buffer (e.g. it's a minibuffer window, or a dedicated window).

> The emacs lisp manual (i finally looked at it) suggests copying the
> the contents of the file to an empty buffer (with
> "insert-file-contents"), it seems a good idea in this case - i could
> then just search that. What do you think?

It all depends on whether you expect that the files might already be loaded
in a buffer and whether the user would find it convenient or annoying that
the Makefile file is automatically loaded.

        Stefan