specifying the location of auto-save files

From: Michael Powe
Subject: specifying the location of auto-save files
Date: 25 Feb 2005 13:25:24 -0500

What controls the location into which auto-save files (#test.c#, e.g.)
are placed?  Is there a variable I can set to specify this location?
I can't find in the manual where this is even discussed.  It discusses
the naming convention for the files and how to change that but not
where they are placed.

The reason is, I'm having a problem with an installed version of 21.3
on gentoo linux.  It is trying to save to a non-existent directory
when I am editing files remotely.  (Normally, of course, it auto-saves
into my home directory.)  If I forget to turn off auto-save in these
circumstances, it will take me several minutes to get control of the
editor again to turn it off.  I've grepped all the .el files and I
don't find any reference to this directory.  I'm guessing it was
hardcoded into the binary accidently but I'd like to override that
setting if possible.

Thanks.

mp

--
Michael Powe            michael@trollope.org            Naugatuck CT USA
Liberal:  1. Not limited to or by established, orthodox, or