Re: vim mode for emacs?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: vim mode for emacs?
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 02:41:54 -0500

David Kastrup wrote:

> Paul Tremblay <phthenry@iglou.com> writes:
>
>> I hope this question doesn't sound too funny, but is there a vim
>> mode for emacs? I remember reading on an email list that one could
>> set up emacs so it would operate like vim--that is, you could hit
>> the j key and move up one line, hit the k key and move on one line,
>> and so on.
>>
>> I am coming from the vim world, but I really want to take advantage
>> of emacs XML modes. But I am so used to the vim key bindings, that I
>> was hoping I could adapt them to emacs.
>
> M-x viper-mode RET

My understanding is that viper-mode emulates vi, not vim.

I thought I should add on to David's reply just in case that that
makes a difference.

I've never personally tried viper-mode, so I don't know how close it
comes.

--Rod
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at
http://www.rodwriterpublishing.com/index.html.

To reply take the extra "o" out of the name.