Re: options/config for the CVS built

From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Subject: Re: options/config for the CVS built
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 09:10:15 +0530

>>>>> On 7 Mar 2005 15:51:00 GMT, Gnooby <gnooby@gmx.com> said:
Hello,

g> - He proposes to get make.exe, but I can't find make.exe on
g> http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html I had to get it from MinGW.
g> Mind you: I'm not saying that it's not there.  I'm just stating that I, as
g> a Newbie, couldn't find it right away.  - copy mingw32-make.exe to make.exe
g> (BTW: why can't I simply make a link?)  - He proposes to get makeinfo.exe.
g> I can't find that either on the GnuWin32 site - he proposes to install some
g> Unix Utilities from GnuWin32.  I've installed the FileUtils and FindUtils.
g> These depend on the LibIntl and LibIconv dlls.  However, the *.zip file
g> only contains a libintl-2.dll.  When trying to run a binary from the
g> GnuWin32\bin directory it complains about a missing libintl3.dll.  When
g> copying libintl-2.dll to libintl3.dll the problem is resolved.

g> Again: I'm not complaining!  I'm just sharing my experience, in order to
g> make it easier for other Users/Newbies to get it running.

I think this is the best time to come up with a document which describes the
correct steps (under present circumstances... I mean about the location of
tools and their links as of now). Most of us have a collection of MinGW32
tools collected over the years + built versions of tools which are not part of
MinGW32. Hence, we (atleast I) have a non-standard MinGW32 setup which works
fine for GNU Emacs build. Due to this, we fail to notice sour points which
makes it impossible to proceed with the build.

Maybe, someone can also add directions to build GNU Emacs with image support
on Win32 platform (and mention the problem in using image libraries built
using GCC and building GNU Emacs using MSVC).

A good starting point to find out the libraries/DLLs required for a Win32
build would be run "depends.exe" on a built GNU Emacs (this is a chicken and
egg problem, I could help here if someone is interested) and get the whole
list of DLLs required at runtime. I did that once to copy only those DLLs
required by Emacs at runtime instead of copying the whole of MinGW32 runtime
during installation on other machines.

Let me know if I can be of some help as I have spent some time building GNU
Emacs on Win32 platform using both MSVC and MinGW32.

-dhruva

--
Name : Dhruva Krishnamurthy (dk)
Phone: +91-(0)80-22999190