Re: options/config for the CVS built

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: options/config for the CVS built
Date: 08 Mar 2005 05:46:17 -0800

> I think this is the best time to come up with a document which
> describes the correct steps (under present circumstances... I mean
> about the location of tools and their links as of now). Most of us
> have a collection of MinGW32 tools collected over the years + built
> versions of tools which are not part of MinGW32. Hence, we (atleast
> I) have a non-standard MinGW32 setup which works fine for GNU Emacs
> build. Due to this, we fail to notice sour points which makes it
> impossible to proceed with the build.

FWIW, I compile CVS Emacs on a bog-standard MingW distribution, with
no other packages from GnuWin32 or anywhere else, and using
mingw32-make.exe (renamed to make.exe). However, I have to make two
small changes by hand to lisp/makefile to get it to bootstrap
properly.

On line 500 (in autoloads):
!                         $(DQUOTE)$(lisp)/loaddefs.el$(DQUOTE))$(ARGQUOTE) \
!               -f batch-update-autoloads $(lisp) $(WINS)
-->
!                         $(DQUOTE)loaddefs.el$(DQUOTE))$(ARGQUOTE) \
!               -f batch-update-autoloads . $(WINS)

I mentioned this on the list before, but Eli said that the problem was
with MingW make. Ah well.