Re: Use ido for *all* completion?

From: Mark Plaksin
Subject: Re: Use ido for *all* completion?
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 08:27:46 -0500

Oliver Scholz <alkibiades@gmx.de> writes:

> Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> writes:
>
>> Oliver Scholz <alkibiades@gmx.de> writes:
>>
>>> Yes.
>>
>> And don't you agree that while they both show available completions,
>> icomplete is nowhere near ido when it comes to functionality?  Or am I
>> missing something?
>
> I don't recall having seen any list of required functionality. I do
> remember that somebody wanted to use ido for other sorts of
> completion. Such things most of the time mean: people want to have a
> particular functionality and express that as "can X also do Y?" So
> before we jump on anything without consideration and merge
> gnu.emacs.help and emacs-devel, it would be quite more methodical to
> find the least difficult way to achieve the required functionality.

I posted the original question.  What I really want is to type as little as
possible.  The lightning completion code I mentioned is great because it
completes automatically (you don't have to hit TAB) and because you can use
it for all minibuffer prompts.

I have looked at icomplete, partial-completion-mode, and ido.  Of the
three, ido is the best for me.  It's completion is similar to but much more
powerful than lightning completion's.  The only missing piece is (an option)
to make it active for all minibuffer prompts.