Re: Where to buy Elisp Ref manual?

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Re: Where to buy Elisp Ref manual?
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:39:30 -0900

John W. Eaton wrote:
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> writes:

Yesterday, I called the Free software Foundation and was told that
it was no longer being printed and there was no date set for a later
edition. Shucks!

If you want to speed things up, then help in some way by providing code,
documentation, funding, etc.

I then ordered version 18 (pub 1992) used from Amazon for $11.86 USD
(including shipping) and my local UPS store will print out the current
online manual for 5 cents per page. Between the two methods, I guess I
can get the same info (and more paper!) for the same price. Staples and
binder extra ...... I still like paper myself.

If possible, it is best to buy printed manuals from the FSF, even if
it means spending a bit more than it would cost to print it yourself,
because then you are supporting the development of more free software
and documentation instead of just supporting your local copy shop or
toner cartridge manufacturer.

jwe

I agree 100% - my business is built on GNU tools. GNU is really the foundation of what I do and I am deeply grateful. I I'm really quite disappointed that they have apparently discontinued the printing
of this manual. I do note that the introductory elisp book:
http://www.gnu.org/doc/intro-elisp-2.5.html is currently available, and
that is next on my shopping list.

--
tj