Encoding Emacs and Latex

From: Joerg
Subject: Encoding Emacs and Latex
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 01:03:46 +0800

Hi,

I have a strange problem. When I write in Emacs I can use special character
like äöü, which are properly displayed. But if I run Latex I get instead of
äöü other characters. Even if I open the tex-file in another editor I get
the replaced characters. If I type äöü in the other editor and open the file
in Emacs I get something like \344\366 etc.

Any idea what the problem is and where I have to look for a solution?

Cheers,

Joerg