Re: right alt key not bound to meta

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: right alt key not bound to meta
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:41:52 +0000

Malcolm M <malcolmm@aracnet.com> wrote on Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:40:13 -0800:
> I am using emacs on a PC in linux and also via ssh shell accout at my
> isp (linux).  In the X window version of emacs I am accutomed to
> having both the right and left alt keys function as meta.  But when
> using tty version of emacs both at home and ISP only the left alt key
> functions as meta.  How do I fix it so with tty both alt keys are
> bound such that they can be used in meta command combinations?

A crude way (untested) would be to map your right alt key to function like the
left alt key.  I.e., you'd not have it for any other applications.

Assuming you don't mind this, find your keyboard layout file, which will
be somewhere like /etc/default.keyboard.  There'll be a line like this in
the file:

keycode 100 = AltGr

.  Replace it with

keycode 100 = Alt