Re: i18n search/replace with input methods latin-4-postfix and rfc1345

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: i18n search/replace with input methods latin-4-postfix and rfc1345
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 23:43:11 -0500

>> > (unify-8859-on-decoding-mode 1)
>>
>> Good.
>>
>> >  '(unify-8859-on-encoding-mode t nil (ucs-tables))
>>
>> Good as well.  Except that the two do the same thing redundantly, so
> it's
>> better to get rid of one of them.  I.e. if you like to configure your
> system
>> with Custom, then keep the second, else keep the first.

> They shouldn't do the same thing since one is for decoding and the other
> for encoding.

Oops, sorry, I wasn't careful enough.

> Anyway I think I'll stick with Custom since it's probably the less error
> prone method.  Apparently unify on encoding is safe but the other one can
> cause information loss.

Indeed, but only in "unusual" situations (e.g. if you use encodings like
iso-2022).  And in your case, unification on decoding is exactly what you
need (provided you're not bumping into a bug that prevents it from doing
its job, of course).

> I am using the NT build and am not comfortable compiling from source. I
> have cygwin running under MS win but have never tried to build anything
> with gcc.

I think cygwin has a precompiled cygwin version of the CVS code.

        Stefan