Re: Compiling Emacs with GTK

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Compiling Emacs with GTK
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:48:32 -0700

David Combs wrote:
> "<prior>"?   "<next>?".
>
> Why the <expletive-deleted> (shows my age, no?) didn't
> "they" (rms?) call them pageDown and pageUp?
>
> Yeah, maybe those two words, prior and next, are defined
> somewhere in the gnu-emacs manual, but c'm on, give me a break!

As far as I can tell, the XK_Page_Up and XK_Page_Down keysyms were added
to /usr/include/X11/keysymdef.h as aliases for XK_Prior and XK_Next just
to support the IBM PC/AT keyboard back in 1991 (comp.windows.x message
<10265@scolex.sco.COM>).  But X11 had been around since 1987, X10 since
1985, and X9 (the first to support the IBM PC) since 1985
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_window_system#History).  Emacs 19 was
the first major version to run in its own X window, but Emacs 18.52 ran
under X10 back in 1988.

Emacs doesn't know what's engraved on your keyboard keys, so it uses the
orginal keysyms for the key codes sent by the Prior/PageUp and
Next/PageDown keys.

--
Kevin Rodgers